Sin Barreras is a Charlottesville-area nonprofit dedicated to helping immigrants navigate US immigration, legal, healthcare and educational systems with a focus on the Hispanic community. We do this by providing direct services, referrals, community workshops, and through advocacy with like-minded organizations.
For this part-time position, we seek a self-starter to assume leadership of two symposiums in. This will include presentations and discussion on the history of migration in the United State since the 1950’s, the current legal structure of immigration, the overall condition of the Hispanic immigrant population, and its contributions to U.S. society in economic and cultural areas.
- Develop drafts of symposium topics, content, time slot, and schedules for English and Spanish events, with input from team and supervisor.
- Identify and recruit suitable colleague organizations to co-sponsor, stakeholder buy-in, and other potential participants.
- Publicize the events with adequate advance notice and follow up with advertising near the actual dates
- Work with staff, volunteers and colleagues to generate community interest and motivation on symposium topics.
- Design an adequate evaluation mechanism for reporting on program effectiveness and plan for future events.
- Work with staff and volunteer support, this position will lead most facets of two symposiums.
Skills and Characteristics:
- Understand and promote the mission, vision, and values of Sin Barreras.
- Self-starter who is energetic, forward thinking, well organized and goal oriented.
- Strong technical and facilitation skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both English and Spanish
- A dedication to the cause of all human rights
- Ability to work well with a team, communicating effectively to use available resources for best results.
We are a small, but growing organization working in a space with enormous need. We are looking for candidates who are dedicated to our mission and willing to grow with us. Compensation is offered, however, we believe these opportunities are best fit for candidates who are also looking to gain valuable hands-on non-profit experience at the grassroots level. Come be part of something big!